- 394: Theodosius the Great reigns as undisputed ruler of the Byzantine Empire after defeating the usurper Eugenius at the Battle of Frigidus.
- 1861: Aristides Drusios unsuccessfully attempts to assassinate Queen Amalia.
- 1955: The Istanbul Pogrom breaks out against the Greek minority.
- 1959: Andreas Papandreou returns to Greece after a long absence in the United States.
- 1966: Dimitrios Tsafendas assassinates Prime Minister Hendrik Verwoerd of South Africa.
- 1959: Toumba Stadium is inaugurated with a friendly match between PAOK and AEK.
- 1979: Two AE Larisa FC players - Mousiaris and Koukoulitsios - are killed in a traffic accident. Their teammate, Yiannis Valaoras, miraculously survives.
- 2016: Greece score three goals in the space of three minutes and defeat Gibraltar 4-1 in the qualifiers of the 2018 World Cup.
- 1773: Login Petrovich van der Heyden, Russian admiral at the Battle of Navarino
- 1860: Lorentzos Mavilis, writer
- 1953: Stavros Papadopoulos, footballer