- 474: Zeno I ascends to the Byzantine throne.
- 1919: Workers in Thessaloniki protest shortages in food.
- 1934: The Balkan Entente is established by Greece, Turkey, Romania and Yugoslavia.
- 1948: A major earthquake (7.1 on the Richter scale) strikes the island of Karpathos.
- 1950: Martial law, imposed as a result of the Greek Civil War, is lifted throughout Greece.
- 1954: The statue of Theodoros Kolokotronis on his horse, is placed in front of old Parliament building.
- 1976: The European Common Market accepts the application of Greece for full membership.
- 1995: Four members of the Northern Epirus "Omonia Party" are released from prison by the Albanian authorities.
- 2007: The body of Yiannis Vartholomeos, head of the Social Insurance Institute (IKA), was found in the stairwell of an apartment block in the central Zografou area.
- February 9: Nikoletta Kyriakopoulou breaks the Greek women's indoor record in the pole vault, at Donetsk, Ukraine, with 4.60m.
- 1404: Constantine XI Palaeologus, last Byzantine emperor.
- 1893: Georgios Athanasiadis-Novas, poet, Prime Minister
- 1935: Charilaos Michail, EOKA fighter.
- 1957: Katerina Stanisi, singer.
- 1980: Angelos Charisteas, footballer.