Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 1822: Konstantinos Kanaris destroys the flag ship of the Turkish navy off the coast of Chios.
- 1909: A strong earthquake strikes Central Greece with Lamia as its epicentre.
- 1933: PM Eleftherios Venizelos becomes the target of an assassination attempt for the second time in his life. His car is riddled with bullets but the Cretan politician escapes unhurt.
- 1943: Greek communist leader, Pantelis Pouliopoulos, is executed by the Italians near Larisa.
- 1949: Ioannina Metropolitan Spyridon is elected Archbishop of Athens.
- 1949: A TAE DC-3 crashes at Kakosalesi resulting in the deaths of four crew members and 18 passengers.
- 1969: Alekos Panagoulis escapes from Bogiati prison.
- 1930: Jim Londos defeats Dick Shikat to win the NBA world championship of wrestling.
- 1956: Ethnikos Piraeus defeat Olympiakos 2-1 (Karaoulanis, Xenos - Kotridis). This marks the first defeat for Olympiakos in a league match since 1949.
- 1960: Christos Mantikas dies. He took part in 12 Balkan championships winning 20 gold and 3 silver medals. At the Berlin Olympics he was the only European in the 110m hurdles race.
- 2004: Ilisiakos win the play-off match against PAS Giannina with 3-1 and return to Division B' of the Greek Football Championship after a period of 32 years.
- 2010: Panathinaikos defeat Olympiakos 76-69 and win the Greek basketball championship. The game was interrupted three times as rowdy fans threw objects onto the court. It was stopped a fourth time, 1min 3sec before the end, and was never actually completed.