Phantis:Selected anniversaries/May 11
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 330: Constantinople became the capital of the Roman Empire.
- 1934: Labour demonstrations in Kalamata turned bloody as police killed four demostrators.
- 1958: Constantine Karamanlis was reelected PM with ERE winning 41.16% of the vote. The United Democratic Left came in second with 24.42%.
- 1964: Two Greek officers and a Greek Cypriot policeman were machine-gunned to death in Famagusta.
- 2019: PAOK win the Greek Cup and therefore the so called “Double” for the first time after clinching the championship three weeks earlier.
- Births: Justinian I, Byzantine emperor (483), Lascarina Bouboulina, heroine of the Greek Revolution (1771), Former Princess Irene of Greece (1942)
- Deaths: Archbishop Sofronios III of Cyprus (1900), Stratos Dionysiou, laika singer (1990), Vangelis Perpiniadis, singer, composer (2003), Michalis Genitsaris, rebetiko singer (2005)