Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 1856: A major earthquake (7.7 on the Richter scale) strikes Crete. 500 persons are killed.
- 1866: Cretan revolutionaries are defeated by the Turkish army at Vafe, Chania.
- 1908: The Cretan Council declares "Enosis" (union) of Crete with Greece.
- 1912: Greek forces enter Kozani and Grevena.
- 1944: The WWII German occupying forces move out of Athens
- 1986: New Democracy triumphs in the municipal elections as Miltiades Evert is elected Mayor of Athens, Andreas Andrianopoulos is elected Mayor of Piraeus and Sotiris Kouvelas is elected Mayor of Thessaloniki.
- 1989: US Ambassador Michael Sotirchos meets with Communist politicians Charilaos Florakis and Leonidas Kyrkos.
- 1995: 4,000 Greek policemen and firemen demonstrate in Athens for better wages.
- 1930: Georgios Zacharopoulos breaks the Greek record for the javelin throw with 63.41m.
- 1930: Nikolaos Papanikolaou breaks the Greek record for the triple jump with 14.31m.
- 1994: Daniel Batista becomes the first black man to play for the National Football Team of Greece in a 4-0 victory over Finland.
- 2012: Giorgos Karagounis earns his 121st cap - breaking Theo Zagorakis' record of 120 - in the WC 2014 qualifier between Greece and Bosnia.
- 1830: Andreas Syngros, national benefactor
- 1894: Queen Elisabeth of Greece (wife of King George II)
- 1920: Konstantinos Giataganas, athlete (discus, shot put)
- 1924: Mimis Plessas, music composer
- 1924: Leonidas Kyrkos, politician
- 1928: Domna Samiou, folk singer
- 1936: Giorgos Marsellos, athlete (110m hurdles, high jump)
- 1937: Martha Vourtsi, actress
- 1966: Yiannis Kalitzakis, footballer