Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 1833: War of Independence heroes Theodoros Kolokotronis, Dimitrios Plapoutas, Kitsos Tzavellas and Gennaios Kolokotronis are arrested on suspicion of treason.
- 1900: Almost 100 persons die as the steamship "Sarkia" sinks off Andros.
- 1955: Riots break out against Greeks in Smyrna (Izmir) - a follow-up to the Istanbul pogrom one day earlier.
- 1964: Georgios Plytas is elected Mayor of Athens.
- 1985: Kostis Stephanopoulos forms the Democratic Renewal Party (DI.ANA.). Ten New Democracy MPs follow him.
- 1991: Cetin Gorgu, Turkish assistant press attache, is shot and killed in his car in Pangrati, Athens. The Revolutionary Organisation 17 November assume responsibility.
- 1994: An Albanian court hands down jail sentences to five members of the Northern Epirus "Omonia Party" for "treason and collaboration with an outside power".
- 1999: A powerful earthquake (5.9 on the Richter scale) causes extensive damages and 86 fatalities in Attica. Turkish rescue units are among the first on the scene.
- 1986: Larisa defeat Ethnikos Piraeus 9-0, however the Hellenic Football Federation will not recognise the result of the match as Ethnikos fielded amateurs due to a footballers' strike.
- 2009: The National Basketball Team of Greece start off Eurobasket 2009 with a convincing 86-54 victory over FYROM.
- 2015: The National Football Team draws 0-0 in Bucharest against Romania and equalises a negative record of 11 straight matches without a victory.