Academy of Athens

From Phantis
(Redirected from Athens Academy)
Jump to: navigation, search

The Academy of Athens (Greek Ακαδημία Αθηνών) is Greece's national academy and the highest research establishment in the country. It was established in 1926, and operates under the supervision of the Ministry of Education. The Academy's main building is one of the major landmarks of Athens.

History and structure

The organization of the Academy of Athens, whose title hearkens back to the ancient Academy of Plato, was first established on 18 March 1926, and its charter was ratified by the law 4398/1929. This charter, with subsequent amendments, is still valid and governs the Academy's affairs. According to it, the Academy is divided into three Orders: Natural Sciences, Letters and Arts, Moral and Political Sciences.

Research centres

The Academy today, maintains 12 research centres, 10 research offices and the "Ioannis Sykoutris" central library. In 2002, the Foundation for Biomedical Research of the Academy of Athens was established. The Hellenic Institute for Byzantine and Post-Byzantine Studies in Venice also functions under the supervision of the Academy.

Membership in international organizations

From its foundation, the Academy of Athens has been a member of the International Association of Academies (AIA), and the International Council of Scientific Unions (ICSU). It also participates in the following body: All European Academies (ALLEA), European Academies Science Advisory Council (EASAC), Inter Academy Council (IAC), Inter Academy Medical Panel (IAMP).

Main building

History

The main building of the Academy is a neoclassical building between Panepistimiou Street and Akadimias Street in the centre of Athens. The building was designed as part of an architectural "trilogy" in 1859 by the Danish architect Theophil Hansen, along with the University and the National Library. Funds had been provided by the magnate Simon Sinas specifically for the purpose, and the foundation stone was laid on 2 August 1859. Construction proceeded rapidly, after 1861 under the supervision of Ernst Ziller, but the internal tumults during the latter years of King Otto's reign, which resulted in his ousting in 1862, hampered construction until it was stopped in 1864. Works resumed in 1868, but the building was not completed until 1885, at a total cost of 2,843,319 gold drachmas, most of it provided by Sinas, and, after his death, by his wife Ifigeneia. The sculptures were undertaken by the Greek Leonidas Drosis, while the murals and paintings by the Austrian Christian Griepenkerl.

On 20 March 1887, the building of the "Sinaean Academy", as it was called, was delivered by Ziller to the Greek Prime Minister, Charilaos Trikoupis. In the absence of a national Academy, the building was used for housing the Numismatic Museum in 1890, and in 1914 the Byzantine Museum and the State Archives. Finally, on 24 March 1926, the building was handed over to the newly-established Academy of Athens.


List of members of the Academy

The founding members of the Academy in 1926 were:

Admitted in 1927:

Admitted in 1928:

Admitted in 1929:

Admitted in 1931:

Admitted in 1932:

Admitted in 1933


Admitted in 1934


Admitted in 1935


Admitted in 1936


Admitted in 1938

Admitted in 1939


Admitted in 1940


Admitted in 1941


Admitted in 1943


Admitted in 1945

Admitted in 1946


Admitted in 1947


Admitted in 1948


Admitted in 1949


Admitted in 1950


Admitted in 1951


Admitted in 1952


Admitted in 1954


Admitted in 1955


Admitted in 1956


Admitted in 1957


Admitted in 1958:


Admitted in 1959:


Admitted in 1960:


Admitted in 1961

Admitted in 1962

Admitted in 1963

Admitted in 1965


Admitted in 1966

Admitted in 1967

Admitted in 1968

Admitted in 1969

Admitted in 1970

Admitted in 1973

2004 commemorative coin issue

The Academy of Athens was recently selected as main motif for a high value euro collectors' coin; the €100 Greek Academy of Athens commemorative coin, minted in 2004 to commemorate the 2004 Summer Olympics. In the obverse of the coin, a close view of the building is depicted. The intention was to highlight the premise that in the city of Athena, the Olympic Games should not only be the most important athletic event, but also reflect equal importance toward intellectual and cultural activities. All three should be equivalent to the style and character of the city that was the birthplace and the matrix for the revival of the modern Olympic Games.

External links

A portion of content for this article is credited to Wikipedia. Content under GNU Free Documentation License(GFDL)