Tatoi, located 15 kilometers north of the center of Athens at the site of ancient Dekelia, is an area of pretty much unspoilt beauty at the edge of the greater Athens urban sprawl. It was bought in 1871 by King George I and Queen Olga. Tatoi was the summer palace and private property of the former Greek Royal Family, and the site of George II of the Hellenes's birth. Besides the summer palace, which was built in 1884, there are another 40 buildings dotting the area the last of which was completed in 1954. They included two Orthodox churches, three stables, a secondary palace and buildings to house the various employees.
Tatoi was confiscated in controversial circumstances some years after the declaration of the Hellenic Republic. Its confiscation, and the confiscation of other personal property of the exiled King Constantine II, without any compension, led to a court case in the European Court of Justice. The Greek Republic was ordered to pay its exiled king compensation for the seizure. As the area had unattended for many years, the buildings had fallen in disrepair. In 2005, the deputy Minister of Culture announced that a repair program would start soon.
Buried in the Tatoi Royal Cemetery are:
- Alexandra of Greece, Queen of Yugoslavia (March 25, 1921 -- January 30, 1993) - (wife of Peter II of Yugoslavia)
- King Alexander (August 1, 1893 -- October 25, 1920)
- Aspasia Manou (September 4, 1896 -- August 7, 1972) - (wife of Alexander I of the Hellenes)
- King Constantine I (August 2, 1868 -- February 6, 1923)
- Queen Olga, Queen of Greece (September 3, 1851 -- June 18, 1926) - (wife ofGeorge I of the Hellenes)
- Prince Andrew of Greece (January 20, 1882 -- December 3 1944)
- Prince George of Greece (June 24, 1869 -- November 25, 1957)
- King George I (December 24, 1845 -- March 18, 1913)
- Marie Bonaparte (July 2, 1882 -- September 21, 1962) - (wife of Prince George of Greece)
- King Paul (December 14, 1901 -- March 6 , 1964)
- Queen Sophia, Queen of Greece (June 14, 1870 --- January 13, 1932) - (wife of Constantine I of the Hellenes)
- Queen Frederika/ of Brunswick, Queen of Greece (April 18 1917 --- February 6, 1981) - (wife of Paul I of the Hellenes)